Search This Blog

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Interactive Math Journals: Introduction

I have thrown myself into several brand new projects this year in class.  One of them is my interactive math journals.  I have to give a huge shout-out to http://www.rundesroom.com/ for all of the excellent ideas!  I purchased her guide from teacherspayteachers.com and am using it as a guide and inspiration as I dive head first into this project.  

Since I teach grades 3rd-7th Math and Algebra, I will post the journals by topic rather than grade.  

Following http://www.rundesroom.com/ format for journals, I use the left side/right side method for the journals.  The left side is always student thinking and reflection.  The right side is completed in class and is always my words.

To start the journals, I had students create a table of contents.  This is where the title of each entry is listed, along with the page it appears on.  

Each entry is then given the same title on the top of the page that is found in the table of contents.  I then have students write down a learning goal.  On the right side, the learning goal is in my words (I tend to use the objective from their book or from their standards.)  On the left side, they have to put the learning goal in their own words.  After they have their learning goal written, they then have to write down what they already know about that topic.  

We then complete the concept on the right side of the page.  After we complete the concept and have worked with the concept in class, I direct them back to their journals to complete the left side of the page.  They then have to complete 'What I Learned,' 'Proof' [a problem and its solution w/ and explanation], and a 'Reflection' [which can be virtually anything as long as it reflects their learning].

To grade the journals, I am using a rubric written by http://www.rundesroom.com/ from her Interactive Math Journals Guide that I purchased from www.teacherspayteachers.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment